Monday, August 26, 2013

Hold your horses



Another week down, can you believe it?  I have no idea how time is going by so fast.  First, my 100 day mark came and went in a flash and now my six month mark is next week.  What the?
 
Anyway, how fast time is going doesn't matter.  All that matters is the fact that I'm using all the time I have to be the most effective missionary possible.  And we did that this week, even though nothing went as planned.  To start off, we had 8 different investigators we wanted to meet with.  Then, they all for some reason decided that they "didn't have time to meet" and that they "appreciated our help these last few weeks" but they "won't be able to meet with us anymore".
 
So. We then knocked on doors.
 
And we knocked, and we knocked, and we knocked.  And then were slammed, shut, and never answered.  BUT, it's okay because we're missionaries, right? Right!  And there's always other opportunities to preach the gospel.  However, it was an opportunity I wasn't expecting at all.  You see, on Saturday, our 1st counselor called and asked if I would be able to give a talk in Sacrament meeting the next day.  "Excuse me, what did you say?".  Anyway, he wasn't kidding.  Luckily, I had no problem with it this time.  My last talk, I knew about it a whole week in advance and it took me the whole week to prepare.  I was super pumped Saturday night because preparing for it was super easy.  Yeah! My Korean is getting better!
 
Anyway, Sunday came, I gave my lovely talk on missionary work and how members can be involved. Afterwards, members were coming up to me saying how much I've improved, how good it was, etc.  Success!! The only problem was this:  Just because they thought I could give a talk at the pulpit (one that I've written before hand, as well), they now began to think that it means I'm practically fluent.  So the rest of church was spent with them jabbering to me, trying to have deep and detailed conversations.  I was all like, woah now, hold your horses - I don't know Korean!  Haha, I might be able to teach or give a pre-written talk, but don't expect me to be able to talk with you about Korean politics or the differences betweem Korean and Japanese customs or whatever else they were talking to me about.  That will come in time... maybe....
 
Then, today (Monday) was P-day.  So we FINALLY went to Sunyudo Island - a beautiful small piece of paradise an hour off the coast by ferry.  It was wonderful, I'll send a couple pictures.  It was also $30.  So it was definitely a one time thing.
 
Well, I'm out of time.  Wish us luck this next week!  Hopefully my giving talk days are over (they're not).
 
Elder Grape

No comments:

Post a Comment